As a work at home mom, I struggle with not only finding the right balance in work and family, but also in finding time and energy to meet the needs of both! I have tried filling out schedules, make todo lists, evaluating my priorities... All the generally recommended methods of increasing my productivity. Still, when naptime rolls around, all I want to do is flip on The Chew and eat chocolate for an hour. I know, I know, we cut our cable... The chew is as good as it gets for naptime TV here. But it's still more appealing than doing anything that requires thinking or moving.
Conceptually adding more things to do didn't really seem like the answer, but 6 months post partum while still in my maternity pants I decided, enough was enough and set out to start exercising. Day 1, my kids whined and fussed the entire time in the stroller as I jogged/ walked around my nearest park. The toddler refused to put a blanket on her legs, instead stuck them out on either side of the back seat of the double stroller complaining all the while about her feet getting cold... In any case we survived.
I felt exausted when I got home, but an amazing thing happened... In the car later when the little one (6 month old) was crying, I didn't feel my usual stress. Instead I turned on some music and sang, and you know what? She calmed down too. At naptime, instead of sitting on the couch staring at the nearest wall, I was able to focus on my work. I almost didn't even realize the cause-effect of it. I was thinking, "man I feel great!" Then, "but why...?" And I realized it was my little run. My 20 minutes in the morning with two fussy girls, running around the park had made such a huge difference on the whole outlook of the day. That's when I realized how much more important exercise is than just an activity for losing weight.
Add exercise to your schedule, fit it in somewhere, make it happen! Try to get out at least a few times a week for a couple weeks. Better yet, join a workout group or start one up. You will be amazed at the results in so many areas of your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment